Monday, March 17, 2008

WELCOME TO THE NEW AND IMPROVED SPLUTTERS!

I figured what better way to ring in going live (I don't know why I keep referring to it as "going live", I suppose there is something about it that makes the whole thing seem more important and official...) than to keep up my yearly tradition of my TOP OF THE POPS collection. So let's get to it.




MICHAEL FAKESCH (DOS-Album)



Basically like a really super cooler-than-you version of Justin Timberlake. Just check out the unfortunately short and low-quality video for his song "SODA" below. Michael, dude, I'll make you a video. This crap is insane. Listen to his song "COMPLICATED" You can find a sample at>

http://www.last.fm/music/Michael+Fakesch/_/Complicated


It's what made me fall in love with his music. Awesome dude.



-----
ANNIE (untitled upcoming album)



I have been a huge fan of Annie's since her 2005 debut album, for which she received much praise. She has the breathy voice of a nymph and enough pop-sensibility to make that work over the electro-heavy and incidental-filled accompaniment. In 2007, Annie was picked up by Island records and is currently working on her first major label release. Check out the video for "CHEWING GUM" below, or listen to a snippet of her new single "I KNOW YOUR GIRLFRIEND HATES ME", currently streaming on her myspace page>

http://www.myspace.com/anniemusic




-----
GLASS CANDY (B/E/A/T/B/O/X- album)



About 4 months ago I really got back into Italo disco (something I had been quite obsessed with back in '06) and I started scouring the internet, trying to find some of the old, classic, drippy, drugged out disco glam pop of the days of yore. It seems that I picked a great time to spelunk for said pop bliss, as I uncovered a whole slew of neo-italo disco artists recapturing the feeling of the old Italo Disco tracks, but incorporating fresh production and taking advantage of modern technology. I supposed it was only a matter of time that I stumble upon Portland based band Glass Candy. Between the lead singer's lazy swooning and coke-nosed vibrato, and the producers penchant for finely aged beats and dynamic filters, it's hard NOT to be transported to a boosted out Milan circa 1975 when devouring these tracks. Glass Candy does not have a video worth posting yet so give "ROLLING DOWN THE HILLS" and "BEATIFIC" a try by following the link below. Hot Shit.

http://www.last.fm/music/Glass+Candy/_/Rolling+Down+The+Hills

-----
ROBYN (Self-Titled US Debut Album)



Robyn was on this list last year. She's back. There is a reason she is back... and it's because she is amazing. Period. This woman is SUCH a pioneer in the industry right now. She is one of the ONLY acts that is self-penned/produced that has had the level of success that she had. She spent the whole of 2007 catering to her European/UK fans, and is now poised to take the US by storm, one fickle listener at a time. I listen to Robyn and I feel like she is to Britney Spears, what Michael Fakesch is to Justin Timberlake. She did a show in NYC recently, which apparently was Mind-bogglingly amazing, and she is re-releasing her last album, all cleaned up, polished and ready for the US. We welcome you with open arms, Robyn. See the video for "WITH EVERY HEARTBEAT" (which was #1 on the UK charts for, like, months) below, or try the KNIFE produced track "WHO'S THAT GIRL".



-----
ROISIN MURPHY ('Overpowered' Album)



Roisin is no stranger to the dance-pop scene. As the former front woman of Moloko, Roisin had the opportunity to get her sea legs primed for a solo career. Although Moloko did produce some pretty memorable tracks (Bring it Back, Time Is Now, etc) it was inevitable that Ms. Murphy take it to the next level with a solo project. She did just that with 2005's Matthew Herbert-produced RUBY BLUE. Now she's back and bringing us away from the lounges and into the nightclubs with her new album OVERPOWERED. Check out the video below for the title track.



-----
CALVIN HARRIS ('I Created Disco' Album)



What a cocky son of a bitch. Still, I can't get enough. This shit is like drugs to me. It's so simplistic and a total rip off of like 85 people. I really don't give a fuck. He is just fun. I feel like the industry needs a big fat shot of fun right now. Check out his video for "ACCEPTABLE IN THE 80's" below.



-----
PRIVATE ('My Secret Lover' Album)



Private is a relatively new band, producing some pretty amazing shit. Think Michael Jackson meets an atari game. It's fucking catchy and kind of hilarious. I will be the first to admit that the lead singer, constantly crooning to women in his songs, is pretty obviously a big mary. I don't really get that whole thing, but the music is cool enough that i don't really care which one of his personal issues he is singing to. It's workin' for me... the lasers, the minimalism, the gayness... all of it. Check out the vid for 'MY SECRET LOVER' below.



-----
KYLIE (Album - 'X' + B-sides)



Kylie is a fave of mine simply because she always brings a sense of total frivolity to the pop world. Her new album 'X' is shamelessly trendy, total trash, and in moments, nauseatingly bubble gum.... I really just can't get enough. As I am a true fan of hers, I am always on the lookout for new stuff, and to be totally honest, I've found that there are a few B-Sides that didn't make it to the album, that i happen to like more than some of the tracks that did get on it. I'm pretty sure it's time to fire your manager, Terry Blamey, Kylie. Isn't he like 120 years old now? Yeah... probably not equipped with the tempered trend barometer one needs to make a tracklist for the princess of pop's "comeback" album. Regardless of these factors, this album is a current fave. I'm pretty sure that this will get NO airplay in the US, and I am finally getting to a place where I've accepted the fact that Kylie will probably never be HUGE in stateside, like she is the rest of the world over (thanks SJ) but that doesn't mean that I still can't indulge in the yummy goodness that is she, as often as I like. That's the gorgeous thing about the US of fuckin A.... it's a free country. Check out her brand new video for "IN MY ARMS" below.



-----
KELLEY POLAR ('I Need You to Hold On While the Sky Is Falling' Album)



Super duper art shit. Love it. It's like accessible weird electronic music imported from the 70's or something. I don't even know. Just watch and listen. Sample the video for "CHRYSANTHEMUM" below. Also listen to his song "SEA OF SINE WAVES" off of his album which can be sampled here> http://www.juno.co.uk/products/303207-01.htm.

Loves it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! You're back!

3/17/08, 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the music stuff.

3/17/08, 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How the heck do you know about all of this music? Keep it comin'!

3/18/08, 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home